Every year, schools across New Jersey use the month of October to focus on kindness, respect, anti-bullying, and diversity. Chapel Hill Academy is excited to be celebrating these themes in a variety of different ways. Social skills, art, P.E., health and other classes will provide age-appropriate activities and instruction based on character building and bullying prevention. We will have themed t-shirt days and several fantastic assemblies and talks aimed at various age groups. In addition, we encourage you to discuss the meaning of respect with your child, and ways to show kindness, tolerance, and compassion for others.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our planned activities or otherwise, please feel free to contact your child’s counselor. Thank you in advance for your participation and continued support!
The counseling staff at Chapel Hill Academy
OCTOBER 2017 – MONTH OF KINDNESS
Every Monday of the month we will wear blue in order to show solidarity against bullying and a promise to show kindness and respect for others.
WEEK 1 – October 2-6th – Week of Respect
- “How do I show respect?” Bulletin boards on each floor. Take a peek online for all kinds of nice ideas.
- Monday, October 2nd- Wear Blue!
- Wednesday, October 4th – Dialed BMX Stunt Show 8:30am
- Friday, October 6th – Be a H.E.R.O. – Wear a superhero T-shirt as you, ‘Help Everyone Respect Others!’ by being the superhero that you are.
WEEK 2 – October 9-13th Anti-Bullying Campaign
- Monday, October 9th – NO SCHOOL – Columbus Day
- Upstander Pledge – done in Social Skills classes
- When I witness bullying in school, home, work, online or in my community I will not be a bystander. Instead I will intervene or report the abuse and I will reach out to the bullied person and offer support.
- I will work to make others feel safe and included by showing respect and compassion. I will not use demeaning language, gestures or jokes about anyone’s sexuality, size, religion, income, politics or other differences…even if they behave that way towards me. I will stand up for kindness and respect, and will speak out against intolerance and disrespect.
- Tuesday, October 10th – “Good Character” Stress Balls handed out to all students
- Friday, October 13th – “Respect Yourself”- Wear your favorite gym clothes/sports t-shirts to show the importance of exercising and taking care of yourself. When you respect yourself, you are more likely to respect others!
WEEK 3 – October 16-20th School Violence Awareness Week
- Monday, October 16th – Wear Blue!
- Thursday, October 19th or 20th – LP Police for Cyberbullying Talk
- Thursday, October 19th – Wellness Fair Parent Meeting 6:30pm
WEEK 4 – October 23-27th Red Ribbon Week Your Future is Key So Stay Drug Free!
Art and Social Skills classes will feature this theme throughout the week
- Monday, October 23rd – Wear Blue!
- 8:30 am AA/NA speaker for High School students
- Tuesday, October 24th – United Nations Day
- K-8 wear clothes, bring in food or a flag, share pictures, etc. that show your heritage
- 8:30-2:30pm High School trip to the United Nations
- Wednesday, October 25th is Unity Day…Wear Green!
- Thursday, October 26th – Vision Goggles Presentation by Lincoln Park Police Department grades 7-12
- Friday, October 27th – NO SCHOOL
WEEK 5 – October 30-31st
- Monday, October 30th – Wear Blue!
- Bully Proof Your School Assembly K-6 at 1:30pm
- Tuesday, October 31st – Halloween!